Let's Talk Positively About TV (For Once)

Tuesday, August 29, 2006, 3:21 PM

Yes, I watch Iron Chef. Yes, I'm slightly embarassed.

When I was a kid, my Mum always told me that if I have nothing nice to say, then I shouldn't say it at all. So I thought instead of a winge, I will post some praise about TV shows that I actually enjoy.

1. My Name Is Earl: Impossible not to love. Jason Lee is one hell of an actor, and Earl is one hell of a character. It's a fresh idea, and the writing runs the full gauntlet from subtle to funniest-home-video style shenanigans. The instant likability of Earl is the jewel in the crown.

2. South Park: I only watch it for the biting social commentary. Honest!

(Well, there goes my credibility.)

3. Boston Legal: An absolute bargain, two fantastically developed characters for the price of one. Dare I say it: William Shatner is a good actor?

4. Family Guy: I'm a sucker for ridiculously constructed pop-culture references. Reading my blog, who would've thought?

5. Iron Chef: If not for the camp-ness of the entire show, if not for Chairman Kaga's outfits, then for the fantastic food they serve up. "Surprise Chef" Aristos has nothing. Nothing!

Other shows I love, but usually miss because of work or some other commitments: The Chaser's War On Everthing, Spicks & Specks, The Daily Show, Media Watch, Futurama and The Shambles.

So you see, I'm not a bitter old man, angry at everything. I actually do enjoy a laugh. I know it's stranger and possibly more disturbing than a Craig McLachlan comedy show, but there you have it.