My Mum Would Be So Proud

Wednesday, August 02, 2006, 11:41 AM

Who would have thought you could find such a deliciously relevant picture on Teh Webbernet?

Today is my anniversary.

No, I'm not married or anything. Today is the anniversary of the day I decided to give up caffeine. Well, I quit around this time last year. What do I look like, a swiss timepiece?

I've never been a coffee or tea drinker, but I always had a sly penchant for [insert globally recognised beverage with a registered trademark here]. One day I realised that, not only was I helping prop up a company that would probably rate quite highly on "The Big List Of Global Corporations That Need A Good Rap On The Knuckles", but it was quietly messing with my sleep cycle and hurting my hip pocket. It's not all that healthy too, apparently.

In fact, my little experiment has been so successful, I've been ruminating for as much as six months as to whether I should quit drinking too. I've always been only a very occasional social drinker, so I've never had any problems with it, but I've always been a little dumfounded by the idea of a ritual body-poisoning on a Friday night.

So I'm asking: has there been anything in your life that you've given up - it doesn't have to be food, drink or smoking - and what were your experiences? Especially if there are any former, or even non-drinkers out there, I'd like your comments, too.
File Under: